B
A
Rhome.html

The Labor Temple building is the oldest union hall in the Pacific Northwest built specifically as a union hall. It is one of the only two in Oregon. Throughout its history, it has sheltered the well known traditional unions, but many lesser known unions too, such as: Alaskan Fishermen, Bakery Workers, Cement Finishers, Chauffeurs, Cigar Makers, Dairy Workers, Decorators, Egg & Poultry Workers, Fish Cannery Workers, Fishermen, Gas Fitters, Hoisting Engineers, Inland Boatmen, Master Mates & Pilots, Milk Drivers, Motion Picture Operators, Musicians, Operating Engineers, Packing House Workers, Pile Bucks, Plasterers, Plywood, & Veneer Workers, Pressmen, Sawmill & Timber Workers, Shipwrights, Stage Workers, and Typographers.

Built upon the ashes of the great Astoria fire of 1922, the Labor Temple building was completed in late 1924. Dedicated in 1925 by locally renowned union leaders Dad Young, Mother McGee and E.J. Stack, the building served as a home to unions represented by the Astoria Labor Council. From 1922 until the onset of the Great Depression, union hands nurtured the phoenix that would rise from the ashes.

A victim itself of the Depression, the
Labor Temple building was foreclosed upon in October 1932 – mere months after members of the Carpenters’ Union falsely claimed that the building manager was involved in bootlegging. Despite his innocence and subsequent efforts to hold on to the building, it was eventually returned to the bank’s hands, where, due to the financial hardships of the time, it sat empty for six years. In 1938, the Astoria Labor Council repurchased the building and since that time, it has been a local home to some of the most powerful and influential unions in America.

During WWII, union labor provided most of the local infrastructure improvements that contributed to the war effort. Many of those improvements are still enjoyed today, including: The Pier System at the Port of Astoria, Tongue Point Naval Base & Shipyard, USCG Air Station Astoria, and Camp Rilea, as well as the Astoria-Megler Bridge, completed in 1966.